Sunday, May 25, 2014

Happy Birthday, Hubba!

Howdy from Jaclyn in Aggieland!

I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend and that you take at least one moment this weekend to remember and give thanks to the men and women who have died protecting our freedom.

Yesterday was Hubba's birthday! Happy birthday, Hubba!


We went to lunch at a new brewery in the Northgate District - Blackwater Draw Brewing Company. I was hoping to get there in time for brunch, but I woke up too late.  We ended up getting an order of their #YESSIR fries, I got a BYOB (Build Your Own Burger), and Hubba got the Charles Brat-son. The fries were sweet potato with cinnamon, sugar and feta, but there wasn't any substance to hold the feta onto the fries. I think the fries at The Luxury in San Antonio are waaaaayyy better. But, I loved my burger. And I am awful picky about my burgers. It was on a sourdough bun. I love the slight sweetness with the hamburger. It was also sturdy enough to hold together throughout the entire burger. The patty was not too big, but it also wasn't small. It comes with arugula, red onion, and a thick slice of an heirloom tomato. Then you get two "freebies" and if you want to add cheese, a fried egg, or peanut butter (among other choices), there is a fairly standard upcharge. All of their "freebies" are house made. I got their sriracha mayo and chipotle ranch and cheddar cheese. It was really good. Hubba took home a 64 oz. growler of their Kolsch.


We can bring back the jug the next time we go and get it filled with anything on draft.

After lunch, we kind of lazed around and ran a couple of errands, but mostly just relaxed with each other, not doing anything special until dinner time. Hubba had made plans to have dinner with the neighbors and watch a movie. They had made a lot of pizza dough, so we had a lot of fun making a bunch of different pizzas on the grill outside until the coals weren't hot enough. Here is a picture of our toppings spread:


We ate out in the back yard, rolling out dough, mixing up the combination of ingredients, and sharing our creations amongst the four of us. The toppings we had available were: traditional tomato based pizza sauce, pesto, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mushrooms, bell peppers, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, shredded mozzarella, cheddar, red onions, basil, jalapenos, and corn. The coals didn't quite stay hot enough for all of our pizzas, so the last savory pizza was cooked in the neighbors' oven and I started working on getting the dessert pizza toppings ready.

(Sorry there are no pictures of the dessert toppings.) For the dessert pizzas, we used the same pizza dough used for our other pizzas. We pre-cooked the dough, but I think it would be fine to not do that, or makes calzones. My original idea was to smear the dough with nutella, but I didn't realize that we were out. So, instead, we melted some good chocolate and smeared that on the pizza. Then, I had brought out a variety of toppings: bananas, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple chunks, apples, pecans, sprinkles, mini chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, butter, cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, Hershey's chocolate syrup. Everyone was able to put on their own dessert pizza whatever they wanted. No one was entirely sold that this would be delicious, but it turned out great and everyone seemed to really love their creations. Mine had the melted chocolate, bananas, pecans, and marshmallows. I stuck mine back in the oven long enough for the marshmallows to get toasted and then sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top. The powdered sugar, we all agreed, was necessary to give some sweetness that was lacking in the dough. I thought it was amazing.  After that, the neighbors brought over some slices of watermelon and we sat out eating our watermelon and spitting out the seeds. Next summer, maybe the backyard will have a watermelon crop!

After that, we watched Castle in the Sky. I forgot how much I liked it. Hayao Miyazaki is a great storyteller.

 Ryan and I at The Salt Lick earlier this month.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where --" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"--- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if only you walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland