Friday, May 9, 2014

Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center

Howdy from Jaclyn in Aggieland! (Reporting today from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.)

Today, my mom, grandmother, Hubba and I went to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in South Austin. This is me with Hubba and grandma in front of the water lily pond at the front of the center.

We started by hiking a trail that was actually outside of the center. It was hot and muggy. We could see rain clouds not too far away but there wasn't a hint of a breeze. We also felt like everything we saw on the trail we could have seen in Mom's backyard. But it was still pretty. :)


Above is a picture of typical Texas Prickly Pear Cacti and Indian Blankets that we saw in abundance on our hike. We also found a research plot that seemed to be researching garden roofs and tall grasses, a sinkhole, a few different varieties of sage, and a couple of Indian Paintbrushes and Bluebonnets that seemed to be clinging on. Most of the Bluebonnets had gone to seed.

When we made our way back to the center, we looked at the different gardens. Here are some of my favorite garden photos:
 Water Lily
 California Poppy
Zotol

We also found the Family Garden that had several fun things for us to do!
Bobcat!
Man-made Waterfall with "Hidden Nook"
Me, Grandma, and Mom in a Giant Bird's Nest

We ended our time at the Wildflower Center at the top of the Stonework Tower and looked around in the store. Hubba had been tracking our activity while at the center. We walked just over 2 miles. I will count that as my exercise for the day. :) 

View from the Top
When we left the Wildflower Center, we headed to the original Salt Lick BBQ. It was really delicious! I got the combo plate with brisket and sausage, beans, potato salad, and cole slaw. Soo good.



On the way to Salt Lick, we found Wizard Academy. I have tried to find information about it, but their web page does not have very much information. What is this?

I also worked through a few more pages of notes for the class I am teaching this summer, read another chapter in Luke and in HTRTBFAIW. I took my multivitamins. I drank more water than yesterday, but still need to get another glass or two in before bedtime. I also might pick up the physics textbook tonight and play with that. 

Tomorrow, Grandma flies north and we drive back to Aggieland. We might make it back in time to watch the Aggie Men's Tennis Team play in the first round of the NCAA tournament(?). Monday, Hubba starts his 3-week racketball court while I get to relax.

What do you have going on this weekend?

Thanks and Gig 'Em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where --" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"--- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if only you walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland