Friday, January 16, 2015

Update: Productivity

Dear Aggieland,

We left Bryan on Saturday morning. Our trip went relatively smoothly. The cats had moments of meowing incessantly and blissful, wonderful moments of silence. The road was pretty easy going with the exception of about 20 miles that took us 5 hours to get through. The weather was beautiful as was the scenery. We arrived safely in Palmdale on Tuesday and got checked into the Staybridge Suites.

What we've done so far:
  • Set up a PO Box
  • Got California plates for the car
  • Ryan got his California driver's license
  • Put in an application at an apartment
  • Did some grocery shopping

How the cats are doing:
The cats have adapted pretty well to hotel life. Although, I think they have a little bit of Stockholm Syndrome... We have found both of the cats hanging out in their carriers, which they weren't too crazy about on that first day of travel. They do have to hang out in the carriers a little bit every day when housekeeping comes by to make bed, take out the trash and clean the bathroom.

How Ryan is doing:
Here is pretty much our conversation about how Ryan is doing:

Me: So, you nervous?
Ryan: No.
Me: Anxious?
Ryan: No.
Me: Scared about anything?
Ryan: No.
Me: You excited?
Ryan: Yep.
Me: You gonna miss Texas?
Ryan: *shrug and nod*

On a side note: He starts his job on Monday! It is going to be interesting figuring out how to be a one-car household. Especially on move-in day. Whenever that might be.

How I am doing:
I only had one freak out about moving here and that was driving into town from the east. I don't like the east side of the area. I also had a "I'm so tired, I have no idea what to do except cry" moment after looking at apartments all morning and then being at the DMV for 2.5-3 hours. But other than those two moments, I feel like I am doing good. I have enjoyed looking at apartments and getting to spend a lot of time with Ryan. Today, we drove out to Tehachapi, which was a beautiful, peaceful, rural drive. I love that area and hope we can eventually move out there. However, because it is country living, there isn't much to do. This makes me feel good that we are living in Palmdale for now while we get established here. Everything we could ever want is right here. And a lot of it is really pretty (just not the east side...). I have also been able to work a little bit on my teaching portfolio.

Things I Find Odd:
  • The way roads are named: There is a 5th Street West and a 5th Street East. They run north-south. They do not touch.... So if you ever come to Palmdale or Lancaster and someone gives you a numerical street, make sure they also tell you East or West... There are Avenues O, P, Q, but there are also Avenues O-4, P-8, and Q-3.

Things I Like:
  • Joshua trees: They look so happy, like they are spending their entire existence raising their arms in praise to Creator God. FYI: Joshua trees are not trees. They are in the lily family.
  • The mountains: Even in the desert, we are hemmed in on all sides by mountains. I love that when the desert gets to be too much for me, I can hop in the car and get to the mountains in less than an hour. I love mountains.
  • How close we are to California destinations:
    • L.A. - 1 hour
    • Disneyland - 1 hour 45 minutes
    • San Diego - under 3 hours
    • Las Vegas - about 3.5 hours
    • Napa - 5.5 hours
    • Yosemite - about 4 hours
    • Grand Canyon - less than 4 hours

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you guys are doing well! It's fun to read your updates and picture your life with Joshua trees and beautiful rural drives.:)

    ReplyDelete

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where --" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"--- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if only you walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland