Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Where do you start?

Howdy from Jaclyn in Aggieland.

Recently in the news, there have been many stories that have tugged at my heart. The situation in Iraq seems so overwhelming, that my brain almost ignores it, scrolls past the stories without giving my heart the chance to feel. But my heart does feel.

I just picked up a book (Called to Adoption: A Christian's Guide to Answering the Call) that seems to have nothing to do with Iraq, or IS, or really anything close to the events that may be (are) occuring. But the book starts with some Adoption Wisdom, which included the following scripture from Isaiah:

Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. Isaiah 1:17

This is a beautiful verse, but I will be honest - the first two words leave me feeling helpless. Seek justice. How do you seek justice for the Christians, Yazidis, and other Muslims that are not just oppressed and not just threatened, but are literally losing their homes and lives. Women are being given to IS soldiers. Other horrible acts have reportedly been committed, although no one seems to be sure exactly what is going on. And here, I sit, quite comfortably in my home half a world away, feeling sorry for myself for reasons that sound so small and insignificant. What can I do from here?

Thanks and gig em..

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.

"I don't much care where --" said Alice.

"Then it doesn't much matter which way you go," said the Cat.

"--- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.

"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if only you walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland